Join Frontline Credit Union today!
Wi-Fi & Online Shopping
These days, everyone is on the go and it's not uncommon to access Wi-Fi at coffee shops, hotels, restaurants or airports. Using wireless networks to access information is convenient, but not risk-free. Be smart when you surf. Protect yourself from threats by:
- Using only a trusted computer to access your online banking. Don't use shared library or café computers.
- Managing your online banking only from secure networks. We recommend that you don't use unsecured public networks for anything sensitive.
- Connecting only to password-protected networks. If there are several networks available, ask employees of the organization which network they operate.
- Never leaving your computer unattended, especially if you are logged into your online banking.
- Using different PACs and security questions as login credentials. If someone obtains your credentials for one site, such as a social networking site, you don't want them to be able to access your other ones.
- Ensuring you log out before you close your browsers.
Online shopping is the epitome of convenience. There are no lines and no crowds, but it can also be a haven for fraudsters. Consider the following tips when using your credit cards online to ensure your information stays secure:
- Make sure that you are shopping at a trusted retailer when you enter your credit card details online.
- Provide retailers with only the necessary details to complete the transaction. These include your credit card number, expiry date, the security code on the back of the credit card and the card's billing address. Never provide your social insurance number, account details or your mother's maiden name. For shopping sites that require you to register with a username and password, we recommend you do not use your online banking PAC.
- Use your credit cards only on e-commerce websites that use secure browsing technology on the screens where you enter your card information. Ensure the web address begins with 'https' (as opposed to 'http') and has a closed padlock icon on the screen.
- Ensure that smaller retailers requesting credit card details have reputable contact details, a physical address and you feel comfortable with providing them your card information.
- Never give your account or credit card details to anyone on eBay or Craigslist.